Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Have you ever been roundhouse kicked to the face?

Neither have I, but I bet it feels similar to how I felt during my yoga class tonight.

I started hot yoga last November in Wichita and fell in love. The poses, the heat, the feeling of peace that settled on me during shavasana, the strength I gained and the sense of accomplishment when I progressed further in a pose... everything combined and I felt centered.

At one point, I was attending 4-5 times a week. It was awesome. I dropped around 30lbs, but more than the literal weight I was losing... I lost the weight of the world. Any trial, frustration, my anger, my failures could be brought to my mat and offered up. My happiness, joy, successes... those were offered up to, in thanks and appreciation for life. My mat is the place where no judgements are made... I just breathe and exist.

With travel for work and then my move, I haven't gone to a class in about 4 months. I have missed it horribly. I have done some asanas at home, but I don't get the full effect from home practice as I do from a hot class. I love taking classes and was bummed to find that Columbia didn't have a hot studio, or at least a studio that offered the occasional hot class. I did find that a hot studio was to open in October... today in fact... and was excited to attend my first class tonight.

Let me tell you... good gravy.

Its been 4 months since I've had a 60+ minute yoga class, hot or not. I am, as my blog title would attest, the fat hot yoga chick. I'm making progress, but am still a big girl. I usually hold my own in class. Some days are better than others, but I'm good. Tonight was difficult. The issue tonight was heat + speed. This class just didn't stop. It was like a hot-power-flow and I was struggling. The first sequence we did to a Nicki Minaj song and I thought I would die. This style is completely different than what I'm used to. I'm used to mellow music by Bob Marley & Jack Johnson, while we hold each pose for 7 breaths. This was not that style of yoga. I had to stay in child's pose during the third sequence because I was so dizzy.

I will adapt. I will get better. But butter my biscuit on the other side, its going to take a bit. I'm glad I have 2 weeks unlimited. I have classes scheduled every day, save Saturday and I'm going to need them. Friday morning I am buying a new scale and getting a starting point. I want to see where 2 weeks of this class takes me... cause its intense.


No comments:

Post a Comment